Stay at home
Stay at home:
- only go outside for food, health reasons or work (but only if is not reasonably practicable to work from home)
- stay 2 metres (6ft) away from other people
- wash your hands as soon as you get home
Anyone can spread the virus.
How is coronavirus spread?
Like the common cold, coronavirus (also known as Covid-19) infection usually occurs through close contact with a person with novel coronavirus via cough and sneezes or hand contact. You can also be infected by touching contaminated surfaces if you do not wash your hands.
The risk of being in close contact with a person with coronavirus or contaminated surfaces in very low at the moment, as members of the public who have visited Wuhan, Hubei province, China are currently in isolation.
Preventative Measures you can take
How to avoid catching or spreading germs?
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze.
- Put used tissues in the bin straight away.
- Wash your hands with soap and water often – use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available.
- Try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell.
- Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean.