Pamela Jean Earls (née Gunning)
22-09-1944 — 25-10-2020
Pam was a well-liked and respected member of Bus Pass Thursday and the Sunday Lunch Groups and will be remembered meeting and greeting at Meet the Groups etc.
Pam was born and bred in Cardiff along with her brother and sister. She married Andy and they had two sons Andrew and Carl along with five grandchildren. Pam lost her husband Andy and her sons and their families now reside in Australia. Pam’s final visit to Australia was in 2019 for the wedding of her granddaughter, little did they realise this would be her last visit.
Pam died very suddenly at UHW after a short illness leaving a devastated family who because of Covid could not even return to the UK for her funeral.
Some of the many reminiscences they have are:
· Pam’s love of Elvis Presley - she broke her heart when he died
· Meeting Billy Fury
· Loved the Beatles
· Miss Spiller’s in the 60’s
· Having tea with PM James Callaghan
· Getting people’s life story from them within seconds
· Talking at length about Blair, Trump and Brexit
· Sending parcels of goodies to Australia
· Cups of tea and bacon sandwiches
· Fantastic dancer, she and her late husband used to stand in for teachers when they were on holiday.
· Served at the bar in Ninian Park - Mel Charles asked her out
· Student of the year at Secretarial College
· A dab hand at decorating
· Splott girl and proud to be so
· Laughing over old times
· A great listener to her family and others
· She once worked for MIND when she kept a girl on the phone who was contemplating suicide. This incident had a big impact on her life
Some of the descriptions of Pam from both her family and friends make a wonderful legacy - beautiful, bubbly personality, caring, generous, gentle, good sense of humour, great listener, intelligent, kind, positive, vibrant and vivacious.
I was shocked to find out about Pam’s death on a Facebook site called Cardiff Chatterbox where her son had let people know. Pam was not easily recognised on there when she used her grandmother’s maiden name and showed a picture of Elvis Presley. I then managed to contact her son Andy who has compiled lots of anecdotes. I suppose this is social media at its best!!
Convenor, Sunday Lunch Group